Monday, March 18, 2013

What Can I Do Without?

I came home last Thursday from work to find out that my house had been broken into and my TV, computer, iPad, and backup drive had all been stolen.  Oh and some other stuff, like some euros I had been saving for my next trip, and a really nice ring my grandmother gave me.  Thankfully the cats did not go out the window the burglars left open, though the poor babies were just cowering under the bed when I got home.  It was good that it was a weekend when I had out of town visitors, a welcome distraction from focusing on the frustration of this horrible situation.

The annoying thing is that as traumatic and annoying as losing some personal items was, not to mention the sense of violation and having crooks poking into my drawers (both meanings), that it was nowhere near some of the worse situations I've had in my life recently.  I think that coming home to a house burglarized is minuscule on the scale of crap compared to going over to my dad's place and finding he had died.  And really, it was a one time event, not like sitting on that horribly sad jury trial I was on last year.  Not to mention the day to day work stress we had in the last few months.

But you know, I'm coping.  I remember a time when I was having huge problems with my old computer, and I didn't get cable and I just remember sitting in my house being super panicky and anxious and feeling alone and scared.  And I just don't feel that way anymore.  I had so many friends who offered support or helped me out recently, including a friend who came right over, and another one who spent the night the first night so I would be able to sleep a little.  And my mind now is not the distorted thing it once was, and that helps the coping when I'm not spiraling into depressive scenarios.

Of course, it helped going out and buying a kickass new TV that is bigger and better (and almost the same price) as the old one I got two years ago.  I am hoping that my homeowner's insurance will foot the bill for this but I think that it's definitely worth it.  Also, I think this one is too big to steal!

4 comments:

Jim McKee said...

I have two suggestions:
1. Alarm system.
2. Carbonite.

herartichokeheart said...

I like Jim's suggestions ;) I'm so sorry you were burglarized. That has never happened to me but when my backpack was stolen out of the university library 20 years ago, I felt so violated -- I can't imagine how much worse I would feel if it were my home that were violated. Awful. I hope they catch the crooks who did this.
Also, I am really sorry to hear about your dad. My dad died six weeks after a cancer diagnosis three years ago, and that was hard enough. My deepest condolences. :(

Kyra said...

Oh, I'm sorry that happened! I've never had that happen to me, but I fear it. Your poor kitties!

Fluffycat said...

Thanks for comments. I got an alarm system installed on Saturday. Looking into the backup options once I get my new computer up and running.